I feel like there are two types of people - people who love Valentine's day, and people who really could do without it. And while I have never been one to go out and spend a lot of money on gifts and cards, I really can't see anything wrong with day dedicated to love. Yes, yes you could argue that everyday should be dedicated to love, but frankly, I don't always see that happening. So if it takes one special day for us to take a couple extra minutes and let the people in our lives know that we really love them, well then I'm totally on board with that.
Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate
I love the flavors chai spices, and although there are million other versions out there, this is the combination that I like to make at home. I love adding it to my morning oatmeal, to cookies or to smoothies. Its warm and a bit spicy, and incredibly aromatic. If you don't want to have extra chai spice blend hanging around, you could also just add a pinch of each spice to the hot chocolate instead. I hope you love it :) Serves 2.
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chai spice mix (see below)
- Pinch of sea salt
Homemade Chai Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional to leave out or add more)
What to do
- Place all the ingredients in a small sauce pot over medium heat and slowly bring to boil while continuously whisking with a wire whisk.
- Pass through a fine mesh sieve or coffee filter if you don't want any small bits floating around
- Serve hot and enjoy!